Thursday, December 15, 2011

the internship - part II: the governmental copy machine

situation sketch: for the 78th time in 5 weeks my across-the-corridor neighbour (and genuine stereotype ambtenaar) comes and asks me about the study of one of the palaces in Belgium
it's an unpublished study that I need for my thesis, that is THE ONLY copy in the building
now, being occupied in a full-time internship, I can't devote myself full-time to the thesis (nobody can, at least not normal people, and besides the high level of craziness, I'm still quite normal on that level)
I know, the study is there on my desk (being THE ONLY copy), staring at me and giving me the feeling of guilth BUT all in good time... I will get to it

now... Jan (genuine stereotype ambtenaar's name) comes stumbling and hobbling out of his office, standing a while in his doorway (in the mean time I typed 10 sentences, read an article and checked my e-mails) and finally says

Jan : "do you still have the study of the Egmont Palace?"
me: "yes, I still have it on my desk", thinking it's been there for weeks, no I didn't take it home

Jan: "did you copy it yet?"
me: "no, do you need it urgently?", the word urgently almost making me burst into laughter since the concept of "urgent" is NOT in an ambtenaar's dictionnary
Jan: "no no, not at all but it's THE ONLY copy"

*boom* (that was me exploding... I know by now it's the only copy)

all right, all right... I'm off to the governmental copy machine that after 2 copies gives an error

... after 2 copies
... an error

OH SCREW THAT ONLY COPY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment