Friday, January 18, 2013

@ work - part I

Finally, finally, finally!!! After almost 27 years of my live I started working! For real :D
Ow yeah!

So... for I have the feeling that at work I'll have to live through some kafkaesque situations, I will keep you posted!

First week, first achievement of Kafka: the fire alarm...
It's Friday around noon, and with my colleagues I come back from lunch.
I distinctly remember saying, when I came out of the elevator, "there's a weird smell here"

Two minutes later, the fire alarm blasted - very loudly and painfully of course, but okay, that's usually the purpose of an alarm, I know...
The other purpose of an alarm is usually to get people on their feet immediately and to evacuate the premises.

Over here, it was slightly different: startled by the sudden attack on my eardrums, I looked up... something all other colleagues on the other islands did as well.
*I stress the "looking up", don't read "jumped up"*

The second reaction (on several islands, not just ours), accompanied by a look of confusion: "it's not Thursday right?"
*for the record, the fire alarm blasts every first Thursday of the month... as a test...*¨
Pure confusion means actually a slight feeling of panic, not for a fire, more for the interruption of the daily work flow

In the mean time (read two minutes later) some people get on their feet and go take their jackets.
Attention, still very relaxed, doubtful and above all not too much in the mood of moving...
Slowly we decide to actually go down and to execute the evacuation procedure, when ...

... it stops

Again confusion but most of all relief for not having to take the stairs :)
We sit down again and go back to work

when...

Two minutes later again... the fire alarm

Reprise of the previous, though slightly faster.
We reach te door of the staircase and ... of course

... it stops again

We sit down and go back to work

when...

you know what's comig

This time we actually remain seated... third time's a charm (at least we hope so)
And indeed, the fire alarm does stop and more importantly... it doesn't start again

Ten minutes later the door of the staircase opens and a severly gasping men enters (for the record, we're on the 8th floor)
"Had... to take... *very deep breath* the... stairs *sound of a man on his death bed* ele... vator... didn't... work"

*Poor man... resolution to take the stairs at least twice a day and improve my physique was made

But!
Only another five minutes later another man comes up and I hear him say
"Ah yes, there was a fire... in the electricity cabine on the ground floor"

O_o

So far the foolfroof fire drill...

No comments:

Post a Comment