Tuesday, September 25, 2012

last week in the office - day 2

as I expected...
yesterday's rain was only a little taste for the rest of the week...


today: the library

I mentioned yesterday I have been updating the office's library catalogue
and when I say updating, I mean starting from scratch

the office is located in a restored wood keeper's house that is cleaned weekly by the cleaning lady; it's library is located in an antichamber
since nobody knows exactly the content of the library I was asked to deal with this situation
not only by putting data in an online catalogue, it also included inventing "order"

so I added authors, titles, editors, year, key words, remarks etcetera
and sorted books per theme or subject

I came across books about religious heritage, industrial heritage, fortifications, architectural styles, theory, materials and techniques, interior, inventory, conservation of heritage...
in short: discernible topics
I catalogued and put them away neatly per theme

but there was also stuff about wine (indication for my boss's preference?), birds (as in...?), cartoons...
and there was stuff without any biographical information, severely outdated brochures, or magazines that were not supposed to be there
in short: stuff lacking a discernible topic and stuff not to catalogue yet

to keep up the working pace, I placed them in the category "diversity" and stacked 'em on an orderly chaotic pile: one for the category "diversity", one for "yet to do"

a process which took up already about a week or so

this morning... I enter the antichamber...
where did my pile of "yet to do" stuff go?
ah! there's one of those b.o..o..k..s
why is it in the middle of the "diversity" pile?
and why is the "diversity" pile so neatly organised all of the sudden?

when... "good morning C.!" - "good morning cleaning lady" - "I reorganised everything a bit, it was such a chaos in here" - O_o - "isn't it neat now" - O_O

oh crap...

No comments:

Post a Comment