Thursday, January 12, 2012

the irony of art history

following the previous post, I have an announcement to make (I'm a little bit proud of myself :))

the cold diesel started rolling :D
hurray!! now let's hope we'll get to full speed in a bit

feat of the day: reading the entire monography written on the Egmontpalace (the thesis subject of course)
after hours and hours of getting to know how the counts of Egmont lived and left their premises, how the dukes of Arenberg had decadent parties, how one count was decapitated, the other emprisoned, another chased away, again another duke returned, bought, built, rebuilt after a fire, restored after the French soldiers, bought another piece of land, built again, sold in the end, parceled out part of his park etc... I got to the part of history where my thesis subject was built (by the way, I needed this history (15th to 19thC) for a general knowing of the complex, in case you're wondering why I didn't skip it)

the left aisle, upper square building and adjoining galery on the picture - copyright hln.be

although I knew there hasn't been much research on this aisle (that's why I'm making the thesis of course), I was expecting at least a page or a paragraph on the building

so... me: reading reading reading - "ah, a note on the aisle" - reading reading reading...
and arriving at once in the 20thC...

... wait a sec... 
the aisle was built in 1835... where did I miss the info?
f*ck: the note was everything
eh... so not much research is an understatement...

oh, the irony of art history... reading and reading and getting to know everything about everyone and anything you don't need to know and not finding what you're actually looking for...
mmm... why is there a sarcastic similarity in the search for true love, for the guy you like, the one who loves you for who you are, the tall handsome stranger who's gonna put your world upside down, the...

...oops sorry... drifting off of the subject :)

lesson for today: keep on looking, keep on reading, keep on swimming
ah well... more historiographical credit for me in the end then 

No comments:

Post a Comment